The Young Ones
The Young Ones was an awesome British comedy show in the 1980s about four college university students who never go to class (just like American college students) and have surreal adventures in their house (which American college students don't). The show was actually very good, and was somehow able to pull off madcap absurdism and non-sequiturs. This can be attributed to it being British and made during a time when everyone was coked up and had really big hair, so basically anything from then is funny.
- Rick - Idiot wannabe anarchist who thinks he's the hero of his generation and thinks anarchy and communism are the same thing. So basically he's the precurser to every modern-day liberal teenager who think listening to Green Day and shopping at Hot Topic are really helping politics. Except there was no Green Day back then, so he listened to some fag named Cliff Richard.
- Vyvyan - In what is probably a message to so-called modern punks" everywhere, this fictional character is probably the only real punk EVAR. No, not like the posers of today, punk back then was loud, violent, and awesome, and Vyvyan embodied it. He beat everyone's ass, blew shit up, hated everything and didn't even care when he got his fucking head knocked off on a train... he was an all-around true antisocial.
- Neil - Emo hippy who spends every episode trying to become an hero.
- Mike - The "Kevin Jonas" of the group. Wannabe mack daddy playa. Thinks he's cool, but is a virgin just like the others. Also very short.
- Mr Balowski (and fucking every other Alexi Sayle character) - A Jewish, Commie fat bastard who appears in every episode and rants for a few minutes. Essentially, a lardier but less moaning Ben Elton.
- Special Patrol Group - Glaswegian Hamster who is just like Vyvyan. In other words, he's a reverse furry. It's basically dividing by zero, only with win involved.
Rick and Neil have attempted to become an hero on several occasions. Various methods include:
- Home-made gallows that plays 'Rock Around the Clock'
- Digging a grave but getting bored
- ODing on laxatives
- Sticking their head in the oven
- Pretending to be thermal insulation
- Repeatedly smacking himself in the head with a cricket bat
- And many many more
Vyvyan appeared to try to become an hero on several occasions, but was actually being a hardxcore punk when he stuck his head out of a moving train window and survived, and tried to cause a nuculear holocaust by attacking an atom bomb.
I told you I was hardcore
The fangirls ruin it
Bad News was essentially the Young Ones without Mike and in a spoof rock band. Might sound familiar, but they did it a year before anyone had ever heard the words 'Spinal Tap'. They wrecked hotel rooms, they beat up the cameramen, they drank too much, they smoked the ganja. They were a shit band and were intended to be a shit band.
Live from Castle Gayington!
Drinky drinky drink
You can't keep lulzy shit down. After the Young Ones (it finished when they drove a bus over a cliff) came Bottom in which Rik and Vyvyan, now called Richard Richard and Edward Elizabeth Hitler, share a flat. It's a fangirl's dream.
Rik also did an awful movie called "Drop Dead Fred". Coincidentally, he dropped dead 23 years later of a heart attack.
- the FAQ, in case you're a nerd
- LJ communiy for Young Ones slash, if you're a freak
- Watch this show, if you have nothing better to do (and a Hulu Plus account!)
- the show in a nutshell, if you don't have time or a Hulu Plus account
|The Young Ones
is part of a series on