Plagiarism refers to the use of another's information, language, or writing, when done without proper acknowledgment of the original source. Essential to an act of plagiarism is an element of dishonesty in attempting to pass off the plagiarized work as original. Contrary to the claims of many a FurAffinity and deviantART "artists", plagiarism is not necessarily the same as copyright infringement, which occurs when one violates copyright law. Like most terms from the area of intellectual property, plagiarism is a concept of the modern age and not really applicable to medieval or ancient works. An example of plagiarism would be copying this definition and pasting straight into a report without giving any citation.
- a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work
- the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own
[syn: plagiarization, plagiarisation, piracy]
The Consequences of getting caught Plagiarizing
- You lose your wife
- You lose your job
- You lose your closest friends and/or relatives
- You do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars
- You will get a 0 on your assignment and possible further action.
- If your name is Nick Simmons, you lose the respect of your dad and pretty much pretend, for the rest of your life, that Bleach ripped you off and get stuck doing late night, cable shows as a way to rationalize that you are still culturally relevant.
Plagiarism and Academics
Most colleges, universities, and other institutions of learning will tell you that plagiarism is evil and will make you read handouts every semester on how they will ream you for it. However, if you ask any teacher of real science (psych and sociology students, you can ask your math/physics/chem teacher) about how they got tenure and they will let you in on this well kept secret. Plagiarism is your dumb ass's one ticket to success. So fire up Google and keep friendly tabs on your friend in another grad school's work. Here we consider an example lecture by Harvard Graduate of mathematics (M.A.) and now retired professor, Tom Lehrer (wherein the uploader claims a copyright over a video composed of stolen pictures and a song they didn't write).
<video id="RNC-aj76zI4" width="540" height="406" frame="false" position="center"/>
- Copyright Infringement
- Irate Gamer
- Family Guy
- Realmrsoptimusprime even plagiarizes her confessions about plagiarism!
- Brett_Keane Like most worsts he has done on the internet and offline, he's another culprit.
- Death Stranding